Monday, July 23, 2012

Willing Obedience

source

Yesterday in Sunday school we talked about being obedient to God. We looked at Gideon in the book of Judges. Gideon was plagued by constant fear and doubt. Gideon was filled with fear even though the Lord had clearly spoken about what He wanted to do through his life. Ms. Janet, our teacher, explained that in order for us to be able to move from a fear-filled life to a faith-filled life we must being to be obedient to God’s word. Ms. Janet is always telling us that “obedience equals blessing”. Even in church our Interim Pastor spoke along these same lines, when he shared an example from 2 Kings about a widow who was so obedient that she didn’t even question what Elijah had asked her to do!

There are times in my life when God is teaching me something in church and I don’t even get out of the building and into the car before He has already given me an opportunity to apply what I have learned to my life! This is exactly what happened to me yesterday.

Yesterday after church, a friend of ours approached me and Jon to ask if we would be willing to consider joining a particular ministry in our church. Right away, I began to think about all the reason why I did not want to be involved in this ministry. I gave God a very LONG list of reason why I am not qualified to be involved in this ministry. I was trying to get God on my side and to look at things from my perspective.

Little did I know that at the same time I was complaining to God, Jon was thanking God for answering our prayers and opening up this ministry opportunity for us to do together! What!?

You see Jon and I have been praying about where God would have us serve in the church. We’ve been evaluating the current ministries that we are involved in and ask God to show us if there was anything else that He wanted us to change. For Jon, this new opportunity is an answer to what we have been praying about for weeks. For me, this was not exactly the answer I was looking for and instead of give thanks I gave excuse after excuse about why this was not the answer that I was looking for when I began to pray about this.

This ministry is just something that I have always turned my nose up at, because it is hard and challenging. I could not believe that after all these years of swearing that I would never do this kind of ministry, this is exactly the ministry that God presented us with.

Jon and I have not made any final decisions about whether or not we will work in this new area of ministry. We are trying to take time to pray about it before making a commitment either way.

Even if we decide that this ministry is not for us, God used this situation to teach me that I am not as obedient as I think I am. I hope that the next time God asks me to do something, I will be like the widow in 2 Kings and do what is asked of me, instead of wasting my time and energy trying to figure out is this is really what God wants me to do.

1 comment:

Meagan Joye said...

I have been faced with a lot of situations like this lately too! I keep remembering the quote that Amanda shared in Sunday School on Father's Day- "Instead of thinking of all the reasons why you CAN'T do something... Think of all the reasons why you CAN!"

Excited to see what happens next for you and Jon :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...