Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Following In Her Footsteps

My Sunday school teacher, Janet, has been challenging us to think about what kind of legacy we want to leave behind. She’s started a legacy list of her own and has encouraged us to do the same. Janet has reminded us that we need to begin to live out our legacy now! For example, if we want our family members to know how much we loved them, we must show them how much we love them now before we are gone.

Today I’m not going to blog about my own legacy list. I have been praying about my own list and writing things down, but I’m just not ready to share my list with you yet.

Me, Jon, and Lisa in China for Christmas 2010.

This morning, I want to focus on my mother-in-law, Lisa, and the legacy that she is leaving behind. Lisa is still alive and well. Throughout her life she has made choices that are leaving behind a Godly legacy for her family. I do not know if she planned to do this, but she has even left a legacy for me to follow as well as her daughter-in-law.

My father-in-law, David, loves to brag about his wife and rightfully so! Lisa is an amazing woman of God! One of my favorite things that David tells us about Lisa is how much she enjoyed being pregnant. David always tells us that Lisa has never been happier than during the months that she was pregnant with each one of her five children. Lisa had hard labors and almost died in childbirth multiple times, but she never complained. She found her joy in the Lord and being able to bring new life into this world!

For years, it has been my desire to follow in my mother-in-law’s footsteps. I want Jon to be able to tell our children that I enjoyed being pregnant. I do not want our daugther being told that I complained the entire time I was pregnant with her.

Knowing that I wanted to follow in Lisa's example I have been very intentional about my actions and attitude throughout my pregnancy. This is not normal for me, but I am trying to set aside my ways to accomplish something greater!

I have not always done a good job of this over the last 8 months, but that does not mean I am not trying. I do not know what Jon will tell our children about how I was during my pregnancy, but I pray that it is something a little like what David tells us about his own wife.

I am so thankful that the Lord has given me such a Godly example to follow. I am excited to finish my own legacy list and see how God helps me to live it out each day!

2 comments:

mrsmarkdave said...

I am so thrilled for you that you love your mother in law so much. That is a gift, Jennifer. Treasure it. Not all of us are so fortunate. My mother in law and I don't speak at all. In fact, her son doesn't really talk to her, either. Maybe once or twice a year.

-J.Darling said...

Very touching! With my father's illness (Pancreatic Cancer),I've thought a lot about how, without being biologically related, I carry on his legacy in so many ways. I know My Sailor is concerned about us not having biological children because he's not sure how our kids will carry on the family legacy. I'm so grateful that I am adopted and have the experience to prove that "legacy" isn't about bloodlines or last names. It's about something much, much deeper than that.

It's so wonderful that you and John are taking a look at this before you become parents! It's so much easier to leave a legacy by "doing" rather than by saying, "Now, jr, don't do what I did..." If you believe your child is really capable of being anything God wants them to be, isn't it your job to show them that?

Great job mom and dad!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...