Monday, October 17, 2011

Always Busy

source

When people ask how I’m doing, I always respond by telling them that I am busy. I began to notice the pattern in my response and it bothered me. Why is it that we always seem to be busy? In our home busyness is like a constant state of chaos that we cannot seem to escape!

Recently, I have made a list of all the things that I am busy doing, so that I could find a way to cut something out. I have date nights with Jon, work, Sunday school, choir, church, Weight Watchers, Bible study, and more. As I began to review this list, I knew that it would be impossible to choose which activity I would no longer be involved in. In the end, because I have been so serious about cutting things out of my schedule, I have not been attending choir consistently in the last three weeks. I am so bad at cutting things out of my schedule that I have still been going to choir when I don’t feel overwhelming busy!

I desperately need balance in my life! All of the things that I am busy doing are good. However, are there other things in my schedule that I am busy doing, that take time away from what God has called me to be involved in.

Yesterday in church I was encouraged by Dr. Creamer who explained that as a Christian God has given us a new purpose, the Great Commission.

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 1:8

This life here on Earth is not about me, it is about completing the work that God has called me to do. However, part of this life is taking care of myself. I think that ultimately the Lord has to be the one to bring balance to my schedule.

The author of the devotional below suggests praying and asking God to show you what you need to focus on each day. I think that I am going to begin doing that this day.

I hope and pray that God will show me how to use my time wisely and what things I should be busy doing.

Because I have been thinking about busyness for the last several weeks, I could really relate to the Proverbs 31 devotional that I received this morning. To read it click here Full Busy vs. Empty Busy.

1 comment:

-J.Darling said...

Balance is a tough thing. Remember that you MUST take care of yourself in order to do all the wonderful things God has made you a steward of.
Maybe switch something to every other week to make sure you make time for yourself.
Sometimes I think we put our worth in the number of things we're involved in - rather than really truly focusing our energy and giving our all to one or two things. I know I do anyway. I feel happiest and most "valued" when I'm really busy. I think the challenge there is to find our "value" not in the tightness of our schedules, but the eyes of the one who made us?
It's a challenging issue, that's for sure! As My Sailor is being deployed for the first time, I find myself with lots of time to myself suddenly - and in a very new state where I don't really know anyone yet... So I have to seek out things to make me busy again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...