Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Readjusting My Priorities

source

I do my best to try to be a good and Godly wife. I keep my house clean, do laundry, wash dishes, work, and make dinner. Aren't those all the things a good Godly wife is supposed to do?

This past Sunday, Jon and I had an opportunity to hangout and relax! This does not happen very often, so I was really enjoying our time together. We were watching the NBA finals having a good time, when all of a sudden my To-Do List began screaming at me, as it does so often.

All these thoughts began to bombard my mind, "I need to wash the dishes in the sink", "I need to pack our lunches", "I need to put away the laundry", and "I need to take a shower". Suddenly, I was overwhelmed with guilt, because I was not up and taking care of my responsibilities at home.

I tried to explain to Jon that I needed to go do a few things.

"What do you need to do?", he asked.

I began to recite the my list, when he looked at me and asked if he was on my To-Do List. Defensively, I told him that course he was on my list! That's why I was hanging out with him.

Then he asked, "Why am I not the number one thing on your To-Do List?".

OUCH!

That was not what I wanted to hear, but it was exactly what I needed to hear. What a great question! Why wasn't Jon at the top of my To-Do List, like I thought he was?

I believe that all too often, I think I am putting Jon at the top of my list. I try to keep a clean house and make sure he does not go hungry. However, am I doing these things for him or more for myself? If I were completely honest I would have to admit that I like having a clean house, especially if we have friends that just drop by for a visit. Do you know what matters most to Jon? It's not the laundry being folded and put away. It is that we are able to spend quality time together!

Unfortunately, my own expectations of what a Godly wife should do and be has crowded my mind. I am going to begin to ask the Lord to show me what a Godly wife really looks like. I am also going to pray the God would help me get my priorities straightened out: #1 God, #2 Jon, and #3 everything else.

1 comment:

Mrs. Allbright said...

Amen to that!!! Rings true in my life too. Good word Jennifer! Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...