Friday, May 27, 2011

Flashback Friday: A Spontaneous Kiss


This coming weekend has special significance for Jon and I, because Saturday, May 28th, will mark 6 years since we started dating!!

For today’s flashback I want to pick up our love story where I left off!!

A while back I wrote a blog post about A Unique Challenge that Jon accepted in order to prove to me that people could be consistent. Jon continued to visit me at work all throughout the Spring semester. He also began sending me long emails full of questions about myself. He wanted to know more about me then anyone I had ever met.

Our Spring semester ended in early May 2005. Jon’s summer schedule was extremely busy that year, because he was going on a mission trip to India. Before his missions trip he flew to Colorado to spend a few days with his family. After spending a few days with his family he flew back to Portland to get his stuff moved and fly to India. He was scheduled to be back to Portland, OR for only 10 days before he left on his missions trip. It was over those ten days that God worked in both of our hearts to bring us together as a committed dating couple!!

I had known since spring break that I liked Jon and wanted to date him, but I did not know if he felt the same way about me. Thankfully Jon had come back to Portland in time for us to celebrate his birthday with him! Jon and I spent most of his birthday walking around Portland trying to find me a summer job. We went to several different places and I put applications in everywhere. Our search ended when God provided a job for me at Target!

The next day, I needed to get to the mall to buy new clothes for my new job. I really needed to stock up on more red shirts and khaki pants. Guess who volunteered to go shopping with me? That’s right…JON!

We found the clothes that I needed and while we were at the mall we decided to make a quick stop at Barnes & Noble. We ended up in the kids section talking with one another about our favorite books as children. While we were in the kid’s section something came over Jon and he kissed me on the cheek! Ahhhh!!

I was taken by surprise and I tried to pretend like nothing happened. However, my mind was racing! What does this mean? Does he like me? Did he really just kiss me?

This had never happened to me before and I was freaking out on the inside.

We finished shopping and headed back to my apartment. On our walk back, I couldn’t stand avoiding the subject anymore. I did my best to let Jon initiate our DTR (define the relationship), but that did not seem like it was going to happen anytime soon. So, we sat down and I explained to Jon that I liked him and that I needed to know what was going on between us. We talk for a long time about a lot of different things. It was good to get things out in the open.

At the end of our conversation, Jon told me that he would like to date me!! However, we could not start dating until he asked my Dad’s permission.

Jon had to go, so we said a quick good-bye.

As I walked the rest of the way home I was on cloud nine! I could not believe that someone I liked actually wanted to date me!

I called my sister Bobbi to tell her about everything that had just happened! I could not contain my excitement.

It took Jon several days to get a hold of my Dad. However, on May 28th he was finally able to talk to my Dad and ask him for permission to date me. Dad said yes and we started “officially” dating that day!!

Our dating relationship was a whirlwind, but the Lord was with us every step of the way.

To read more visit Our Love Story page.


Visit Tia for more flashbacks.

2 comments:

em said...

That's a really sweet post!

Christopher And Tia said...

Very old fashioned and true to the heart. Loved reading this Jen. Not very often you get to read a love story that starts out so honest. It gave me happy chills.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...