Thursday, October 28, 2010

Choosing Our Halloween Costumes

I enjoy dressing up for Halloween and all that goes along with that. Every year, a few weeks before Halloween, my Mom would take us to the store so that she could buy fabric for our costumes. I have had some great costumes, but that's another story.

On the other hand, Jon did not grow up in a family that celebrated Halloween. There is nothing wrong with this, it just means that when is comes to Halloween it is not on Jon's priority list, like it is on mine.

Weeks before Halloween arrives I begin my search on the internet to find the best couple's costume for us to wear. Last year, we were Salt & Pepper. It was cheesy, but it makes it much easier for Jon to participate if it is kind of corny.



However, this year I decided to go all out! I told Jon that because we were something cheesy last year, that this year I wanted a really great costume.

I looked at so many lists and pictures online that I was overwhelmed with all the choices that I had. Should we do Phantom of the Opera? Milk & Cookies? Gone with the Wind? CSI? Doctors? For a perfectionist this can be a very hard decision to make, because I did not want to choose the wrong one.

Then as if it were meant to be I stumble upon the Dirty Dancing Couple’s Costume featuring Johnny and Baby. Instantly, I knew that this was the one I wanted to do, but I did not know how Jon would feel.

I did a lot of research and it turns out that Johnny's costume is really simple! My Jon would only need a black wife beater, black pants, black belt, and black shoes. It turns out that he owns each one of these things so we would not have to pay any money for his costume! (I think this was a big selling point when I proposed this idea to Jon.)

In order to be Baby Frances Houseman, my costume would be a white long sleeve top, rolled up above the arms, and tied in front of the mid riff. Fitted denim shorts, rolled up above the knees, and white sand shoes. I even did research to find out how to do my hair!



After I was finished with all my research and knew what it would take to pull these costumes off, I decided that it would be a good idea to watch Dirty Dancing for inspiration. So, the two of us sat down to watch the movie and about halfway through I ask Jon what he thought about being Johnny and Baby for Halloween.

Almost, immediately he said yes!! I didn't even have to fight with him about it. I married such a wonderful man!!

That is how I chose our costumes this year. We have a Pumpkin Carving Party on Saturday and the church has it's Fall Festival on Sunday, Oct 31, so I will be sure to take pictures and post them as soon as I can!!

3 comments:

B. J. Ransom said...

You'll have to tell Jon that while I think he is a good husband for doing this...I still think its funny. :)

Living a Changed Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

He is a great husband! But I will pass along your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...