Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Couple's Bible Study - Fall 2010
Seven months ago Jon and I kicked off our very first Couple’s Bible study. We started with Fireproof Your Marriage. Over this summer we studied Putting on the Armor: Equipped and Deployed for Spiritual Warfare by, Chuck Lawless.
To be completely honest we were not even sure if we were going to lead anything for Couple’s Bible study this fall. I (Jen) am teaching another Women's Bible study and we just did not know if there was a need for it anymore. However, after being approached by two different couples asking us if we were going to start Bible study again, we could clearly see that there is still a need to host a Bible study like this.
This Fall we are doing things a little bit differently. Instead of following a book or some type of curriculum, each member came up with a list of topics that they wanted to study. From that list as a group we were able to narrow it down to what we wanted to study. We were only going to make the study 12 weeks long, but we have some many topics that we want to study that we have extended it to 14 weeks!
Yesterday was our very first day of Bible study. We studied Spiritual gifts and gave everyone a Spiritual gifts test to take home and complete for homework. It was so good to talk with one another about Spiritual gifts and look to see what the Bible says about this topic.
I cannot wait to study the rest of the topics that we picked out. The best part is that we are all taking a turn at teaching. People are picking which topics they are really interested in and they will do the research and teach the group on their appropriate week. Please pray for us and the couples in this group. Pray that God continues to grow our love for Him and one another. I will try to give you updates throughout the next few months!
Just in case you are interested here are the topics that we picked to study.
- Spiritual Gifts Quiz. How to use your gifts?
- Quiet Time Quiet time with a busy schedule. How to develop "creative" quiet time?
- Corroborating the Bible with Science
- Managing your Finances
- Sex & Relationships with the opposite sex outside of marriage
- Family/In-Laws/Order/Good Foundations
- Significance of numbers in the Bible
- Idolatry/Wants vs. Needs Copyright?
- How does God Speak to us? Dreams? Discerning God's Will?
- Leadership in Bible
- Parables of Jesus and how to apply them in today’s world
- People Pleasing and Pride
- Living in the Moment/Present